The God of the Hallways

   We have 7 days left here. It's exhausting looking at the amount of things to be done, and it's getting more difficult to navigate the maze of boxes that are beginning to take over the house.
    It's more exhausting to say goodbye to people we love so much. The whole process is exciting and exhausting.
   If nothing else during this whole process, God's faithfulness has been reconfirmed to me. Mac got a job! Which will mean we will actually be able to buy groceries, which is a big thing for us. The new house has brand new, beautiful floors. A new front door is being put in today. The walls of our current home are getting more and more bare as the days go on. The thought of "This is really happening" runs through my mind on a regular basis.
    On Sunday, I preached my last sermon as an associate pastor here. I preached a benediction that God would open doors for all of us, and that we'd have the boldness to walk through them as they open.
    If nothing else, I'm grateful to say that despite everything, we are walking through the open door.
    A lady at church came up to me after service and said "When God closes one door, he opens another, but I hate the hallways." I thought that was a wonderful sentiment of where we are right now. We're in the hallway moving from one door to the next.
     I've spent time looking through the pictures that hang in our own physical hallways, and had time to think and reflect over our time here. Hallways really aren't fun, it's not where life happens, it's where you are passing by to go to the next thing. It's a lot of comings and goings.
     I'm reminding myself, God is in the hallways too. He is in the comings and goings of our lives. He's in the hellos and goodbyes. He's in the pictures on the wall, and the worn carpet from frequented steps. It's much easier to see where He has been.
    I see God in our first days as a married couple in this house. I see God in our youth ministry, and the lives that have been transformed. The time a student told me that someday he'd tell everyone his youth pastor taught him how to cook. The time a student came in beaming about good grades. In the moments I've watched them make great decisions for the Kingdom. I've watched them hug homeless men and women, play card games laughing, and loving life. I've seen God move through our small group ministry, as new Christians have transformed into leaders. I've seen lights in eyes as they understood holiness for the first time. I can look back and I can see God there.
    It's also easy to dream about where I know I'll see Him in the future, as he transforms lives and uses us to reach a broken community for the Kingdom.
But... seeing him here in this hallway, in this transition is harder. Goodbyes are hard. Moving is hard. Yet, I know he is here. I know that God walks with us in our comings and goings. He's the great I AM, and while I know he was and will be, he IS right now in this moment.
    So, while I hate the hallways, I know that they are a part of the journey, and that growth still happens here. I know that God's presence is still here, and sometimes, when I'm still, like now, in the midst of boxes and tears, I see Him, and I know that even this is for His glory. Even this does not escape Him. I am still His, He is still mine, even now in the in between. God is still God, even in the hallways.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2014. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

4 Responses to “The God of the Hallways”

  1. That is wonderful encouragement in hard times. Thanks for sharing.
    And congrats to Mac on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! We are very happy about the new job, and excited about the days ahead.

      Delete
  2. Robbie, we love your blog. Craig and I are praying "extra" for you and Mac this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deb! We love you both, and keep the prayers coming, they are definitely felt.

      Delete