Overcoming Evil with Good



     Given the news the past several days, it's evident that evil exists. It exists in suicide and death, it exists in persecution and genocide, it exists in hatred between religious groups, and exists in the rampant racism of our country and beyond. It's hard to know what to focus on. It's overwhelming to know what to do. 
     Do we send money to doctors battling ebola? Do we drive to St. Louis in some sort of solidarity with the black community against an unjust system? Do we post the suicide hotline number on our Facebook statuses, again? There are so many things to do, there are so many issues, the world seems to be falling apart. It is easy to be overcome by evil. 
      There's this voice, this verse in Romans that says, however, to not be overcome, but to overcome that evil with good. Not with money, or Facebook statuses, or violence, but with good. 
     The context of these verses are astounding. Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.  On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
      Love, do good, bless others, mourn with those who mourn, live in harmony with others, don't repay evil for evil.
     So you know what I've done in light of things going on? I've gone out and met some neighbors, I threw a baby shower for a friend, I went for a tour at the local YMCA, I prayed hard, I've intentionally talked about these issues, and I love the people around me. 
    That might seem silly, small, ridiculous in light of all that has happened. I guess it is in a lot of ways, but I don't think the solution is throwing money at a problem, I definitely don't think the solution is throwing Molotov cocktails or bombing cities, I don't think the solution is changing the channel on the news and burying your head either. I think the solution is doing what you can by what means you can; loving your neighbors. Being a force in your community.
     I know this of the kingdom of God, it's like a mustard seed. Small, but grows into a weed with potential to tear down entire buildings and walls. The walls of racism, hatred, death, and greed. I can't go to St. Louis, or fly to Gaza or Iraq, but I can plant that mustard seed of the kingdom here. I can know my neighbors names, share cupcakes with them. Pour out love on my friends, be a home that's open to all who need it, be hospitable, be a person who lives outside of myself. I truly think those small kingdom things aren't small at all. I think they open us up to so much, I think God takes those small acts of love and compassion and they grow. They grow into a force to be reckoned with. They grow into something that changes the world. 

    It takes intention, it takes stepping outside of your comfort zone, it takes leaving your house, it takes everything we have, but it's so worth it. 

     So, this week I want to encourage everyone to get out of their homes and plant mustard seeds of the Kingdom. My birthday is a week from today, and I turn 30!! Something I've always wanted to do for my birthday is 30 random acts of kindness. This is more fitting this year than ever before, so join the Mustard Seed project, plant a seed of hope, of love, of compassion in your community, then come tell me about it! I want to hear at least 30 stories of ways you've loved others, blessed others, loved your enemy, fought racism, cared for the oppressed, anything that extends the kingdom of God. Or better yet, do 30 acts this week in honor of me. That would ultimately be the greatest gift ever, and from today forward to next week my birthday, I'm also going to do 30 things and come back here and blog about them each day. That means about 4 things a day. They don't need to be big, they just need to be done in great love. 

So who's up for the challenge? Let's overcome evil with good, together!



This entry was posted on Thursday, August 14, 2014. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply