Happy New School Year!

     I really love the first day of school. I love the entire feeling of going back to school; the sales on school supplies and the stacks of yellow pencils at the store, watching the kids walk down the sidewalk with backpacks that look as though they will tip them over, and the ever so slight scent of fall in the air.
    Many people look at years from January through December, but I have always looked at the beginning of the year, as the beginning of school. My years are always scheduled that way, probably because I was in youth ministry for so long right after being a student, and now because I substitute teach.

    Today is the first day of school, and I love it. As a church in the middle of a neighborhood, we are really trying to think of ways to engage with our neighborhood.
    At the end of the school year, I came up with the crazy idea to have popsicles for the kids after school, which you can read about in an earlier blog. We decided to do something along the same lines for the first day of school.
    We decided it would be fun to give all of the students walking by on their way to school (we have neighborhood schools here, so nearly everyone walks) a small gift. Last weekend, my helpers put together around 50 gift bags each containing pencils and erasers, with a tag that said "Happy First Day of School!"

      It's a small gesture really, and with some donations from others, it cost us very little. We wanted to think of something small, that could make a difference, even if the only difference was to make someone's day a little bit happier. 

     So, this morning we got to work. Seeking to be a bright spot in the day of our neighbors. For some, sending their kids to school is an exciting day. For others, it's more difficult. The same goes for students, one small kindergartner told us how she has been wanting to go to school for so long, because she watched her brothers go to school, and now it was finally her turn. Others didn't look quite so excited to be going back on such a nice day. 
    
     We passed out 20 or so gift bags, and we had tons of donuts left over, but I think the day was a great success! The highlight for me, was getting to give a doughnut and coffee to our crossing guard. I can not say enough nice things about him. We interact a lot when I walk to the school to sub, but he also helps me cross the street, if I'm there while he is, to go to the post office or run other errands. He's always so kind, and is a bright spot in many of my days. 
      When I gave him a doughnut and coffee, he was so surprised and happy. He told me how he was so surprised, and grateful for the treat. 
       We met neighbors that we had yet to meet, and I was proud of myself for remembering the names of many I have met throughout the year. If nothing else, we got to let our neighbors know we are here, that we care for them, and got to see our neighbor kids with their giant backpacks and new school clothes. It was a great way to start the day, and the new year. 
         

   It was a small gesture. It was a bit out of the box, but I'm glad we did it, if for no other reason than to get to wish the neighborhood kids a happy first day of school, and have a moment to celebrate the start of a new year with them. 
     

    I pray this new school year, with new beginnings, with new challenges, with new triumphs and trials, is filled with the prevenient grace of God. That the grace of God would touch each student and teacher's life in profound ways. That they might be challenged to be better people, that they might be compelled to be people of compassion, and that this year would be a year filled with learning that transforms lives and communities for the better. 


This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2015. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply