The Birthday Freebie Tour


This blog has absolutely nothing to do with our church plant. I've had lots of requests for how I got so many free treats for my birthday, so I decided I'd write it out here. Don't worry, we'll be back to regularly scheduled blogging soon! 

     I have a difficult time treating myself. Seriously. I don't like buying things (I almost always have remorse after a purchase). I constantly think that I have way too much stuff already, when so much of the world is in need, and that I'm blessed to be a blessing. I am constantly going through things, giving things away, thinking about who I can help. I'm not saying that to say "look at how great I am!" In fact, the opposite actually.
     I remember when I was dating a guy once (who had similar views about using things until they wear out, and caring for the earth, the poor, etc.) I was telling him how the sheets on my bed had holes in them (honestly I was trying to say "see! I really live what i say I live!"). I'd had them for years, and they were hand me downs to begin with, and they were completely falling apart. He kept telling me over the phone "Robbie, I'm all for not getting things you don't need, but seriously, I think you need to get rid of those sheets and get some new ones."
     It's ridiculous really, how far I take it sometimes. To the point that I have certain family members that check in on me sometimes to make sure I'm taking care of myself in the midst of my attempts to save the world! Mac gets incredibly upset, because there are days I'll tell him I forgot to eat lunch, because I'm so busy doing other things.
     I really take to heart that others come first, and so I do everything in my power to live that way. My money, my time, etc. I try to spend for the sake of God and others.
     Which is noble.... maybe... but more likely than not, it's a little insane. Because NO ONE can live that way long term. You can not spend your entire life running around caring for everyone and neglecting yourself. I have some great mentors that have tried teaching me that. One is my mother in law, who continually says, if you don't care for yourself, you are no good to anyone else. You have to have a few moments, or something in your life, that makes you feel lovely, that makes you feel confident, that makes you feel refreshed, and filled, so you can pour out yourself for the sake of others.
     I can attest to this, because when I find small ways to nurture my heart and soul, I am a much better wife, sister, daughter, friend, and pastor. Seriously.
     So one way I treat myself, is on my birthday. I'm cheap (as you may have gathered) so I like a good bargain. A few years ago, I discovered that many of my favorite restaurants give out something for free on birthdays.
      I've always wanted to do a "freebie tour" and decided this year was the year! So I'm going to show you the stops I made over the last few days (and mention a few I haven't gotten to yet) and how you can do your own birthday tour!!

    My first stop was Panera. If you aren't a part of Panera's loyalty card program, join! They give you freebies quite often (I'm actually fairly close to another one now). Sometimes it's a free drink, sometimes a buy one get one deal. Anyway, on your birthday they give you a birthday reward, of a free pastry. I got my favorite, a blueberry scone, and bought a large black coffee to go with it. It was a great way to start my day at the office. Writing a sermon and eating this delicious Pastry, which is a true splurge for me. 



    We just discovered Firehouse subs in the past year, and we love it! I learned this year that Firehouse Subs does a free medium sub on your birthday. You just have to go in on the day of your birthday with an id. That's it. They hand you a free sub. It's pretty awesome. 



     Dunkin Donuts is another freebie you get when joining DD perks. They have an app on your phone, and will send you an email. The coupon is for a free medium drink (any drink) for your birthday! The coupon is good for 2 weeks. I used it to get this huge oreo coolatta. (though it was delicious, this was my biggest regret of the day... I've vastly reduced my carb and sugar intake, and after everything of the day, my body was very unhappy after this drink, so I suggest sticking with iced coffee which has far less sugar... consider yourselves warned). 

    Our last stop on my actual birthday was to Red Lobster for dinner. Red Lobster also has an e-mail club. They send you a coupon for a free dessert. However, I didn't bring my coupon with me, we just told them it was my birthday and I got this delicious free piece of cheescake!! And they sang for me. (As a side note, Cheescake Factory gives you a free piece of cheescake on your birthday too! We went there a few years ago... and if you are in it just for the cheesacke, go with cheescake factory!)

     This is the birthday perk I look forward to every year. Most people have discovered it by now, but starbucks gives you a free drink on your birthday. Again, you just need to join their loyalty program. It's a little trickier now than it used to be, because it's linked to a gift card. So Do NOT THROW OUT your starbucks giftcards!!! Or at least keep one of them, and link a rewards program to it. They also have an app, which you can load all your gift cards on to (it makes it super convenient) and you can reload your gift cards straight from the app. When your birthday is coming, they load a reward on it, so even though my gift card said $0.00, it registered as a free drink. This is any drink, any size, with any whipped topping you want!!! This is a serious splurge for me, in fact I only get this frappuccino on my birthday each year. 



   This was the first year I used this coupon. It's also from an e-mail perks program (so sign up). It's buy one get one free entrees at Qdoba. Many rewards programs require a puchase like this. My parents got me a Qdoba gift card this year (thanks mom and dad) so it worked out for Mac and I to use the coupon AND the gift card. Which meant a free meal for both of us, and enough money left over for when the next craving for queso hits. (Old Country Buffet has a buy one get one free coupon for your birthday, if you sign up for their club. Famous Daves gives you a discount of 50% off in their birthday club. Chilis and Applebess give you the option of a free appetizer or dessert with a purchase of an entree). 

    This is my second favorite birthday freebie (after starbucks). If you sign up for Noodles and Company's email club, you get a free regular sized bowl for your birthday! You also can add a protein for free. This is seriously an entire meal free! The coupon is good for 2 weeks, so if you are feeling full, go a couple days after your birthday like I did. 

    That's my full tour so far. However, there are many many more freebies I have yet to use. I haven't used any of my free ice cream coupons yet, which include a blizzard from Dairy Queen, custard from Culvers, Baskin robbins, and Coldstone. All of those places you just need to sign up for the email club.
     There are also some more free breakfasts out there. Ihop and Dennys both give you coupons for free birthday breakfast in your email. 

      So have fun looking for all the freebies! I planned out the ones I really wanted to go to, and what ones were only good the day of my birthday, and ones I could use later.
     In fact, we are going up to Michigan this weekend, to enjoy a freebie at a restaurant in Frankenmuth. Since my Mom and I have the same birthday month (our birthdays are only a day apart) we are going to a restaurant where we can both get free meals within the month of August!

     I had a lot of fun going on the birthday tour, and taking some time out for myself. I don't do it often, but with that, and the awesome birthday party my sister in law threw for me, I really ended the weekend feeling loved and ready to take on the world! 
     I hope that whenever your birthday is, you have a happy one, and that you take a little bit of time for yourself, so you can better serve the world around you! 







This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2015. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “The Birthday Freebie Tour”

  1. Robbie, this is great. Also, do it more often. :) I whole-heartedly agree with your mother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete